Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lucas channels von Däniken

The kids finally convinced me to take them to Indiana Jones 4. I had been avoiding it because the trailers had me worried that yet another memory from my childhood would be piddled on. I'm going to throw some pretty significant spoilers in here, so consider yourself warned.

I really wanted to like the movie. There are some classic Indy moments, and some good chuckle spots. They also did a pretty good job of visually throwing out the late 1950's cliches. Still, I could not shake the Chariots of the Gods plot. Pandimensional aliens? A psychic villianess? It kind of throws all of the supernatural elements of the previous films for a loop. In the end it's genre camp that takes itself too seriously by forgetting to wink and nod at the camera. The last quarter of the movie reeks of midichlorians. Without millions of dollars in special effects, and the nostalgia factor of an iconic character, this would have been a plot worthy of the early days of the Sci Fi Channel.

Sigh... I need to just get off my soapbox, pop some popcorn, and watch some classic Jones.

No comments: