Saturday, July 26, 2008

Hellboy Redoux

I finally got a chance to see Hellboy 2 last night. If you enjoyed the first one, you will more than likely get a kick out of this one as well. The movie is both funny and thoughtful, and the visual presentation is nothing short of fantastic (Makes me excited for Del Toro's take on the Hobbit.) Luke Goss is certainly a scene stealer as the prince of the elves, and is one of the few recent tragic villains that I actually felt empathy for (SPOILER: His last lines to Hellboy were delivered with such polished grace that I found myself less moved by the relationship tragedy they had been building up for half the film.)

Although the bulk of the movie is safe for the young teen or squeamish, the auction house investigation was pretty gruesome, and I found myself catching little macabre details that showed that somewhere (probably a dark warehouse in California) the are CGI animators desperately in need of psychiatric intervention. I will never be able to think of the "tooth fairy" in the same way again.

No comments: