Saturday, December 6, 2008

It never gets easier :(


We had to say goodbye to some good friends of ours today. They're moving to Grand Junction... new job... their first house. We've known it was coming for a while, and I'm sure everyone has had that surreal moment when you realize that a group of people you hung out with every weekend just pulled out of town and if you're lucky you'll see them once a year.


I was a military brat. I had scores of friends come and go over the years. When you're a military family you learn to make friends quickly, and never take them for granted, because in a year or so they could be anywhere from Korea to Minot, ND. Being a brat I'm not usually a big one on goodbyes. I've made the promises to write, and that we'd meet up stateside somewhere. It's happened with a few friends, but most simply vanished (until they suddenly add me to their Facebook friends list ;) ).


This was the first hard goodbye in a while. Tears and all. Gabe was really stoic until the truck pulled away, then he bawled harder than all of us put together. Just goes to show you, you never know who the sensitive one is.


1 comment:

Jessalee said...

Poor Gabe. Tell him I'm sorry you all lost such good friends. I know one day we will be facing the same situation with my best friend since high school who is the one who actually introduced me to my husband. They are planning to move back to Texas in the next few years and it will be hard as we depend on each other for so much stuff besides friendship.
On the other hand, now Gabe has a pen pal to write to. :)